Saturday, April 12, 2008

30 Rock: MILF Island

Sorry for the delayed review, but, I have to work. And I occasionally time-shift my TV programs, so, I don't always see the same shows when you do.

After a long absence, 30 Rock returned to Thursday night television with a very unique, different but funny episode. Instead of having Liz play the timid person trying to awkwardly keep things together, Liz was power-mad, doing whatever she could to keep people from finding out that she was the source of a Page Six blind item blasting her boss, Jack. This was juxtaposed to the season finale of MILF Island, a Survivor-type show which involves young boys and, well, really hot women the show it called MILF Island they need to be mothers these boys would like to... yuck, fake NBC, yuck and yuck real NBC this show airs at 8:30 during family hour oh my WOW.

What worked: One of the reasons I enjoy 30 Rock is it's Simpsons-like style of comedy, this sort of comedy where they just throw jokes out left and right and move past them as quickly as possible. If something is absurd, terrific. If it hits close to home, great. This episode also did a great job showing off aspects of Liz Lemon that we kind of knew were there already, but did so by casting her in a different light. I wouldn't want angry Liz every week. But once a season, maybe? I can dig it.

And let me just say that I'm glad the writers seem to remember their theme song. The opening act was all written, edited and produced very well in a mock-dramatic way that blended extremely well with the theme song. Another NBC show that I recapped, in it's season finale a few weeks ago, had an extremely sad opening, but then we had their extremely bouncy and flirty theme song. It didn't work and took me out of the show. Well done, 30 Rock.

What didn't work: Having to wait this long!

Next week: Dean Winters guest stars as a civilian hero who Jack has brought in to the building. Jack also looks for a hip republican icon, but can only find one from 1940's, so he turns to Tracy to support republicans. Hee!

Bonus: Here's a very funny clip, relating to the comic strip Cathy:

No comments: